How Two ‘First Class’ Corps Members Died At NYSC Camps 48 Hours Apart

The gale of death paid an unfriendly visit to the orientation camps of the National Youth Service Corp (NYSC), ripping lives out of the hearts of three corps members within the space of one week.

The NYSC had extended the date for orientation course nationwide to Sunday 27th November, 2016.


On November 29, Miss Ifedolapo Amoke Oladepo was declared dead in the NYSC Camp in Kano state.

The Punch quoted one Sen Ajibolu Marcarony Yusuff, who appears to be a relation of the deceased, as saying that she had called home five hours to her death requesting that her older sister, Mrs. Oyeyode Abimbola (a nurse) start coming to her orientation camp, because she wasn’t being given the much needed attention by the Doctors deployed by the scheme.

Yusuff said the late 26-year-old corps member who graduated with a First Class degree in Transport Management from Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomosho, was given injection at the orientation camp’s clinic, but that she called home to say that she had reacted to the injection, as she noticed visible rashes all over her body.

Yusuff continued, “When a male doctor agreed to speak with her sister (Oyeyode Abimbola), he explained that Ifedolapo was having anaphylaxis (acute allergic reaction) and that they intended to place her under observation for an hour before transferring her to Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital.”

Yusuff claimed that it took about five hours before the camp management transferred Ifedolapo to General Hospital, Gwazo, instead of the AKTH as promised – where it was impossible to communicate with her.

Thirteen hours later, the family allegedly received a call from the Kano State NYSC camp officials informing them of her death.

In reaction, the the KANO Coordinator of NYSC, Abdullahi Baba disclosed that:

“The truth of the matter was that the Coper did not died at the camp, she died in the hospital. She was sick, treated at the camp clinic, and when she was not responding, she was taken to second facility hospital at Gwarzo General hospital “.

“I have reported the matter to my Head office, she was handled by our doctors in the camp before she was transferred to Government hospital.”

The coordinator further distanced the Camp management from the Corper’s death stressing that “we have nothing to do with her death, the records and the file are there, the Doctors that treated her at the camp are there likewise those that treated her in her at the Government hospital”.

Similarly, on December 1, another First Class graduate of Petroleum Engineering from the University of Uyo, Mr. Ukeme Monday, died in Zamfara State orientation camp.

Another First Class Corp Member Dies At NYSC Orientation Camp In Zamfara

Another First Class Corp Member Dies At NYSC Orientation Camp In Zamfara

Though the cause of his death remains unknown, one of his school colleagues said that two of them had shopped together a few days to the orientation camp, and that they departed Uyo for their respective orientation camps on November 23.

“It was thus a rude shock to me when, on December 1, I heard that Monday had died,” the classmate  narrated.

In addition to his First Class certificate, it was learnt that Monday had also won four scholarships and other top academic prizes as a student.

Monday’s death followed another report of a female corps member, Elechi Chiyerom, who was said to have died in the Bayelsa camp.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s